Monday, June 14, 2010

Design Wall Monday #24

Even though it was a busy weekend, I was able to squeak out a few minutes here and there to do some sewing.  I'm surprised that it all added up to being able to finish step #2 of Judy's June mystery quilt.
Here is step #1 on my design wall - 18 sets of flying geese and 18 pinwheel blocks. I had great fun picking out all these fabrics - there are 36 in total since I didn't want any repeats. Some fabrics I bought on the May Shop Hops and some were from my stash. Although the colours look kinda dull in this photo, in real life they look like an interesting "quilt in progress".








I enjoyed making these blocks, and making the swirly centre with the seams on the back of the block (the way Judy recommended). Aren't these little swirls so cute?!?


And on the front of the block, the pinwheel centers came together quite well too.
Here is my June mystery storage box. I took the blocks off the design wall today so I can work on something else.
Here are the flying geese, pinwheels, plus the 4 patches and strips from step #2.

How do you store your WIP's (works in progress)???
I used to have mine stuck into every nook and cranny, in drawers, cabinets and closets, but nothing gets done on the projects using this "system"! So now I have organized many of the WIP's that I want to work on and store them in these see-through containers. Here's one of my WIP stacks.
Better get to work!
Click here to get to "Design Wall Monday" if you want to see what other quilt bloggers are working on this week.

11 comments:

Judy D in WA said...

I love the mystery fabrics... It's going to be a very pretty quilt. Your bins are very colorful!

I have bins for each project and it's fabric pieces. I use painter's tape as my label so it will come off when the project is complete. I have some bins that have had the same tape label on them for years. Time to change that!

Thelma said...

Great start on the mystery quilt. Isn't it amazing what you can get done in little bits and pieces of time when you set your mind to it?

I store my WIP in bins, but not cute ones like yours, where did you get them and what size are they?
Thanks!

Laurie said...

I organize mine similarly; 2 weeks ago my nephew was visiting and he started making labels for them and my son has continued...Since they are stored on the top shelf we actually have a pile of labels that we haven't been able (getting a stool is just tooo hard)attach but they love using the label maker.

Trudy said...

Good for you for sewing in small time chunks. So tempting to say 'not worth it' but even little bits make progress. Mystery quilt is lookin' good. Love your colourful bins. Do you find you're more motivated to work on them when you can see them?

Amy said...

**GASP**
BRILLIANCE! I have moved to the point of needing a better system for my quilts-in-progress too! I absolutely HAVE to get me some of those bins!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My system is much like yours was; shelves of a BIT of organized chaos!!!

Beautiful mystery colors!!!!!!!!

Cyndi loves to stitch said...

love your choices for the mystery quilt, can't wait to see it done.

Sarah said...

I liked the stacked boxes for WIPs - I use 2 stacks of metal drawers from Container Store and they certainly help to contain the projects since I no longer live near the store and can't get more :)

Melinda said...

I have the stacked boxes but not the labels. I need to do the labels.

Barb in Mi said...

Ooh, love to see different mystery quilt fabric selections. Will be 'stalking' your blog to see how it proceeds - and then maybe participate...

julieQ said...

You are so organized!! Love your chosen colors!

Browndirtcottage said...

This is going to be a great quilt...I LUV LUV flying geese!!
Isn't it a great feeling to be organized as you sew...where you can find it now!!!