Monday, July 12, 2010

Design Wall Monday #28

Evolution of a leaders/enders project:
Step #1 - buy a Scrap Bag or (use your own!)
Step #2 - organize the pieces, cut into useable shapes (I started with 1 1/4" squares) and store within easy reach to put a few pieces through the sewing machine at the start and end of piecing that you are doing on your main projects
Step #3 - make some starting blocks...mine were 2" simple 4 patch blocks
Step #4 - keep sewing and let the project evolve...my blocks turned into 3 1/2" double 4 patch blocks
Step #5 - don't get bored with it since you don't make much progress sewing just a few blocks here and there in between your major quilt projects...my blocks have now become these 6 1/2" triple 4 patch blocks which are on my design wall today.

Step #6 - change what you don't like and make more of what you do like. I don't like the light coloured background blocks (the beige and the light pink and maybe the light teal) so I'll reconstruct those.
Step #7 - play with your blocks, arranging them into possible layouts - stay tuned to my blog...when I have enough blocks made, I'll work on some layouts!
What's on your design wall today? Check out the design walls on Judy's blog - click here.

6 comments:

Judy D in WA said...

Great post Kathy! I love a good leader/ender project and they do take some planning but so worth it in the end. I like all your blocks!

The Calico Cat said...

OOO I like that triple 4 patch!

Diane said...

It's going to very pretty...I like to thinnk of leader/enders as a BOGO (Buy One Get One) like our grocery store specials....work on your main project and before too long you've got a 2nd one for "free".

Karen said...

I don't do leaders and enders but seeing what you are doing, I can understand why it could be a good idea. I have quilt blocks in repro fabrics similar to yours that I get bored making and keep putting the parts away.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I have not done a leaders and enders effort but I have wanted to. I just don't think of it until I see things like this.

glen

AnnieO said...

I like the triple 4 patch too. I have a bow tie quilt that I am making with alternate double 4 patch blocks and making those into a leader-ender project would sure be a good idea. The quilt needs to be done in October and the way time is flying....