Monday, December 20, 2010

Design Wall Monday #47

This was on my design wall very briefly. I just finished putting on the borders. "To border or not to border" was a big decision for the group that made the quilt, and we finally decided to border the quilt with this fabric.
It had to be finished to go to the quilters' to give them lots of time for the hand quilting. To read more about this quilt - click here. This quilt will be donated to the Mennonite Relief Sale quilt auction to be held in May. To see the gorgeous 2011 feature quilt which is now posted on the website - click here.
And now...back to Santa's quilty workshop where there will be mass production of oven mitts for my older nieces and nephews for Christmas. Making oven mitts is not a fun job for me ( I particularly dislike the part where you sew the EIGHT layers together!)  but I like the end result, so I'm going to put on the Christmas music and enjoy the machine quilting part of the process.
Even though I quilted through 4 layers including the heat resistant lining, I'm having no trouble quilting with the Aurifil thread. (I wrote about some machine quilting challenges using other thread last week on this blog post).


I made this hot mat last month from Maxine fabric. It was a gift for a friend who hosted a thanksgiving dinner party and it was more fun to sew than the oven mitts :) I think I might make a few more of those with any leftover pieces of the heat resistant lining.

To see what other quilters are working on the week before Christmas, check out Judy's Design Wall Monday.

10 comments:

scraphappy said...

I like the border. I'm sure the hand quilting on it will be stunning. Have fun with your oven mitts. They are so cute, I'm sure they will be very much appreciated.

Diane said...

great quilt and borders! Oh I don't think I'd enjoy 8 layers of materials to sew through either! The results do look worth the effort though!

Teaquilts said...

Love your projects, especially the mitts and hot pad. I wanted to make pot holders for my family this year but it just didn't happen. Maybe next year...

Kathie said...

What fun fabric for those mitts.

Kate said...

I like the border, it works very well. It's a gorgeous quilt. As I have said elsewhere, its a brave, brave woman who makes her Christmas gifts. Your gifts are great! Me I'm the ultimate wimp about sewing for Christmas. Have a wonderful holiday!

Judy D in WA said...

The quilt turned out wonderful! I made 1 oven mitt like that and I swore it was worth the money to buy them and only make potholders! Maxine is a hoot!

Gari in AL said...

You just gave me a great idea. I have some of that Maxine fabric and I think I will make mug rugs with the pictures. Thanks. Have a very merry Christmas.

AnnieO said...

Cute, cute cute! And wonderful job on the quilt in the first photo. Quilters are so generous!

Amy said...

WOW! What color!!!!! Amazing fun quilt !

And....my first reaction to the oven mitts was "ooo....GOTTA make me some!" But then I continued reading {{and read Judy D's comment}} and figured...nah. THANKS for sharing!

;0)

Barb in Mi said...

The quilt border looks great - and by now you probably have finished the oven mitts. Merry Christmas!