Saturday, January 01, 2011

Rainbow Scrap Challenge - Blue

It's the 1st Scrappy Saturday of 2011 and I have already benefitted from signing up for Angela's Rainbow Scrap Challenge! The colour of the month is blue and I got out my blue scrap bins to make some blocks. All of this thought about blue reminded me that I had a very old UFO made from blue scraps that had been on the list for my guild UFO group many (at least 5) years ago. So instead of working with the blue scraps, I went on a UFO treasure hunt and I found it! 
This project is made of what I would call a quarter log cabin block with 1 1/2" strips of a consistent grey and lots of blue scraps. All of the feelings I had about it came rushing back...I hated this thing at one time. As happened with this quilt when I am away from a project for some time and start working on it again, I often forget what my plan was for the quilt. When the brain fires up again and I realize I made a mess...ta da...a UFO is born!!
I sorted through the box and decided that some of the dark blue rounds that were mistakenly made from 2 different fabrics were going to stay like that, and some of them needed to be reconstructed. So I did some ripping and made 8 quarter blocks, which when put together made 2 more blocks for the quilt.
This is the end of the grey fabric and I think I have enough blocks for a nice size lap quilt, so I'll work on putting them together. I can't believe that this old thing has been joyfully resurrected and might actually become a finished quilt!!

16 comments:

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

What a great way to use an old UFO! Love the pattern and the colors! Now I need to work something blue!

Jan Maree said...

It is always so satisfying to see old UFO's being completed - this is year 2 of trying to complete all of mine - but I am still taking time out to do the scrappy challenge!
The colours and pattern look great. Will make a lovely quilt once completed!
Happy stitching!

scraphappy said...

Wow, the first day of 2011 and you are already crossing a UFO off the list. I love the colors of your quilt, though I do understand the struggles that cause us to drop a project along the way. CONGRATULATIONS on your quilt!

FabricandFlowers said...

I love blue. I have so much of it and keep buying it. I like your quarter log cabin. It reminds me of the Disappearing Nine Patch.

Amy said...

Oh WOW! Our minds are thinking alike!
However, YOUR UFO looks so much more fun than mine ;0) That is going to look amazing and I can't wait for you to push to a finish for all of us to see.

Great job on finding that UFO!

Sue Daurio said...

Love the pattern!!

Kate said...

Way to go Kathy! A UFO and rainbow challenge all in one, and you made it work. Not bad for just one day into the new year!

Louise said...

It looks good! It's so satisfying to finish up an old UFO.

Amanda said...

What a good idea, you must be feeling very satisfied with your progress.

Ellen said...

I really like the pattern. It does deserve to be finished.

Alycia said...

Amazing! And it will be beautiful!!

AnnieO said...

Great save! I have a UFO I hate too...It is on my Challenge list for this year and I can't wait to get rid of it!!!

Trish said...

Congratulations on getting that UFO out and giving it a new life!! I know you can get this done!

Kathy said...

What a good project that is sure to use up lots of your blues.

Anonymous said...

Is that two with one blow? I like the pattern very much. What a great start to the challenge!

Helen in the UK said...

I'm glad you've been able to ressurect this one because it looks great! Scrap challenge AND a UFO combined - way to go :)