Sunday, July 22, 2012

Slow Sunday Stitching #5

This is week #5 of my hand work link ups and I am having so much fun with it. I have found some new blogs to visit, with new inspirations and project ideas. It's also a way to help stay on task with handwork and keep track of progress (or lack thereof!)
This week I did some work on my Aunt Philly's Toothbrush scrap rug. I borrowed the tool and pattern from my friend Louise to give it a try, and she helped me get the rug started in June. Here is the photo that Louise took of me fighting with starting the center strip for the rug. We worked on building the rug, had a few rhubarb slushies, but mostly enjoyed a visit in the sunshine at her country paradise. Isn't this a great photo of the view at Louise's home?!? 
Starting the rug was the hardest part so far, and the directions might as well have been printed in Chinese for all that I understood! But Louise said it was a lot like crochet, so she easily figured it out.
I am making the rug from old fabric scraps to try out the technique, and if I like it and it turns out okay, I want to make a nice blue and yellow rug for my bedroom.
This is the tool/needle that is used for making the rug.
This is as far as I have gotten and I really like it so far. It is starting to be a little ruffly on the edges and I'm not sure what that means? Any rug makers reading this can feel free to give me advice! 
Looking forward to seeing what your hands are stitching today...post a link to your blog posting and you will be entered in the July Hand Stitching draw.

13 comments:

beaquilter said...

I used to crochet and one time made a rug too that ruffled at the edges, I think it meant that I increased too many stitches..

Julie in the Barn said...

I've tried to make those rugs. I have a slightly different tool & tried to make mine rectangular. It kept getting shorter on one side so I gave up. It is a trapezoid shaped rug! I think I'll try the oval instead next time. It's a great way to use up ugly fabrics in my stash.

Kate said...

It's so much fun to try something new. Very pretty rug.

Amy said...

First----if you figure out how to not be so ruffly, LET ME KNOW! I've never crocheted, but got a lesson from my MIL because I wanted to make a crocheted rug. I think I also increased WAY too many stitches....???

Second---I will be on the lookout for some hand work; swimming lessons are happening during the next two weeks, so I'll need something to keep myself occupied during the 45-minute lessons.

Pokey said...

I love rag rugs in the house, so home-y. I've made 3 by this style, and even made my own "needle" with a toothbrush handle. The biggest one was for my daughter, all in pink, and it was about 5 feet across. It never did lay flat, lol. The other 2 were in the kitchen, 2' by 3', and they did fine. Try not adding any increase stitches every other round. You will love the finish ~
:-}pokey

Judy D in WA said...

I love your rug. There's something about a rag rug that is so homie!

I have the tool somewhere. Now I want to find it. I had a quick lesson a few years ago. I bet there is something on you tube now.

I think Pokey needs to show us her rugs. :)

Helen said...

Check out this link from Aunt Philly http://www.auntphillys.com/index.cfm/id/17/Demonstration/
She talks about how to keep the rug from being wavy.

Good luck!

Cathy said...

I tries crocheting a rug once, but found the hook needed to be too big to handle comfortably. I like the way yours is looking, and agree that the waviness is probably from too many stitches.

Carrie P. said...

I have wanted to try doing a crochet rug one day. I have the needle and a book. Just haven't started it yet.
Have fun.

Cathy Tomm said...

I love this idea of a hand work linky party. I will have to dig out one of my projects and join you all one day. I have a few hand projects but I have not work on any for a while. Good luck with you rug. I have not done any of rag rugs.

Janet O. said...

I really like these rugs--very homey looking, like a good old traditional quilt! Yours looks great, and it sounds like there is a consensus as to why it is ruffly.
DH's aunt was making these a few years ago. She gave me a lesson and I bought a tool and pattern and that is where things came to a standstill. I wonder where those things ended up? : )

Yvette said...

I loe your rug! They had a class at my local shop but it was during the week when I was at work. That is something on my bucket list but I really need a hands on demo.

antique quilter said...

I have wanted to make one of those rugs and yes have heard it is better to be shown then trying to read that pattern!!!!
yours looks great once it is walked on and laid down I bet it will be fine...
Kathie