Friday, September 14, 2012

Votes For Women

Finally I made some time to get to work on my Votes For Women Block of the Week project. 
This is the fabric I have been saving for this special project. I was lucky enough to win these reproduction fabrics in one of the Quilt Square Quilt Along draws that Jo has each month. And I bought some yardage of the two shirting fabrics for the backgrounds. I'm not sure if I have enough, but it will be a good start.



Block #1 - "Grandmother's Choice"
Easy peasy sewing for the first block. I fussy cut the little flowers on the navy and am happy with how it turned out.

Block #2 - "Amethyst"
A tricky block to sew. I didn't want to make templates, so I divided the block into quarters and drafted a pattern on freezer paper.
I like how the background fabric seems to make the block look more circular (totally by accident!). You can see more blocks posted on the Flickr page.
Part of the fun of a sew along with Barbara Brackman is all the historical information you get to read. I just love the slogan of the British Women's Social and Political Union in the early 1900's:
"Deeds Not Words"

15 comments:

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Your blocks are wonderful, and I love your fabric choices. As for the slogan, I think I need to send that to the US Congress. It says is all.

Deb A said...

Love your blocks! The fabrics are fabulous. I'm curious to see what block tomorrow will bring!

Yvette said...

I love that fabric stack! Your blocks are great, I like the way you re-drafted your block.

julieQ said...

Wonderful, Kathy!!

*karendianne. said...

Beautiful blocks. I love the saying "Deeds not Words." Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Janet O. said...

That is a wonderful group of fabrics you won!
Both blocks look great. The fussy cutting is a nice touch. I have been reading of the struggles others have had with that second block--clever way to put it together.
Love the slogan!

Béa said...

Beautiful blocks, love the way you redrafted the block to have no set in seam !

Darlene said...

Love the blocks, Kathy. Way to go!

Teresa in Music City said...

Great use of your fabrics Kathy! I'm with you - the circular look to the second block is almost an optical illusion. It's really cool!!! =^..^=

scraphappy said...

Perfect fabric choices for this series. Your blocks look great so far. Enjoy the process that goes along with this one.

Anonymous said...

I am also making the Grandmother's Choice blocks. I love your fabric selection. I am looking forward to seeing your progress!

Cathy Tomm said...

Great choices. I need to get to work on mine again. We have had trouble with our computer network and I can not print yet. Maybe Saturday.

Kristie said...

Oh my, I love your fabrics! Reproduction fabrics are my very favorite to work with. Looks like you have a very nice selection.

Have a wonderful and Blessed dayj
Kristie

Wendy said...

Love the Jo's fabrics and great progress on your blocks.

Kate said...

Beautiful blocks! I make Amethyst using the templates, that was definitely a challenge. This week's block was much easier.