Saturday, October 13, 2012

Saturday Sewing and the fall fair block challenge

The plan for today (until my night shift at the hospital) is to sew and sew, and maybe have a little nap :)
I might sew some brown scraps for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, but I was also wondering about working on my brown "dirt or chocolate" mystery quilt instead...we'll see.
I also hope to sew step #2 for my "Jack of Hearts" mystery.
Continuing with my blogposts about fall fairs, I wanted to post the photos from the Erin Fall Fair block collection. I just love it when quilters use their collective creativity to work on a group project. The theme for the block challenge was "Sew & Sow". This is my block, which only addressed the first part of the theme! 

I was really impressed by the 25 creative blocks that were submitted, with such a wide variety in techniques and design. I had to stand there and take in each unique block, made from the same starting theme and fabrics.





Some quilters focused on the "sew" and some focused on the "sow". 
Isn't this block clever?!?


And look at the teeny tiny flower stitchery on this one...it was really delicate.



And this block was my favorite although I don't know who made it. I love the original design, the flow of the gentle curves, the use of light, and the adorable details...love it!


And I also really enjoyed how creatively the blocks were displayed with the tiny sewing machines. Sew fun!
If you haven't entered a guess in my fall fair game, click here and give it a try!

8 comments:

scraphappy said...

What a fun variety.

Barb said...

What eye candy....

Janet O. said...

Those are such clever little blocks, Kathy. How do people come up with these things?
I vote for the nap--definitely!! : )

Kindred Quilts said...

Such creative interpretations of Sew & Sow! My favorite is the 3 stalks of corn... very Iowa!

Sheila said...

So many lovely things. Thank you for sharing :)

Jackie J said...

There certainly was a variety of blocks for the Erin challenge. Well, I'm glad you love my block. It was fun to make.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Hope you had fun working with your browns and your group block is wonderful!

Kate said...

Great blcoks for the Fall Fair collection. Love the border you used on yours.