Thursday, July 18, 2013

Nabby's Dowry - first block

I am still putzing along with finishing the HST's for my Nabby's Dowry mystery.
Here is my first 6" block (pattern released last friday) and it is so cute! I have a lot of variety to chose from in my finished HST's, but wouldn't you know it, I put the same dark blue in the two bottom corners?! Well, random does mean random, so I'm leaving it, and hoping that in the final quilt design, it won't bother me.
This is a fun, "summer paced" mystery project, so why not join in the fun...it's not too late to catch up! You might even have some HST's hanging around that need to be used up...this is the perfect project for them. 
For inspiration, hop over at the Wraggedy Patches blog to see Candace's scrap happy block...scroll down past her wonderful aqua blocks, and you'll see how she is using up HST's from another project. Tell her Kathy said to drop by!

13 comments:

June said...

That is a beautiful block! I have been working on UFO's all summer and hate to start anything new, but am tempted. Continued prayers for your brother.

Ellen said...

I really like your random, scrappy block. I find when I put pieces together randomly that somehow pieces tend to get grouped together as well.

Janet O. said...

I've wanted to sew along with Pam on this, but have too many deadlines this summer--and I admit that the number of HSTs to get made at first made me gulp and think I would never get them done.
I do that same thing when I am trying to make randomly scrappy blocks, but the fact that I didn't notice it to start with helps me think it won't be that noticeable in the end.

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Your block looks great to me! I finished mine too, but haven't taken a photo yet. Have a happy day!

Kindred Quilts said...

Great fabrics in this scrappy block! I'm amazed at how much you get done Kathie!

Lesley said...

Your block is so pretty...love the fabrics you chose!

Raewyn said...

Love your block - I have done this too and love it!!! Waiting patiently for the next one...!

Kathleen C said...

Like everyone else, I really like the fabrics you're using. I wish I had started collecting repros year ago! But I can make the HSTs from other fabrics.
I've just gone back and looked at your posts about your great alphabet quilt (and have visited Lynn's blog). I've made a few liberated "name banner" wall quilts, and I think I'm ready to do the whole alphabet. I'm drawn to your letters-I like the different heights and sizes. Thanks so much.

Aunt 'Reen said...

LOTS of little HST's in this block!
Yours turned out really beautiful!

Teresa said...

I do like the block. A great scrappy look.

Teresa in Music City said...

My goodness - all those HST's!!! But it makes a really fun block, and it's perfect for scrappy!!!

Barb said...

Love the block!

Mary said...

I have a bunch of HSTS already made so I could use them and make smaller blocks, IF I decide to jump in on this SAL. I'm trying sooo hard to resist. #2 Block went up on her Blog today.