Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Challenge Quilt - Wallhanging

This is my finished wallhanging for the guild challenge. It is called "The light side of the moon" and the perimeter turned out to be 77".

I enjoyed every part of constructing this quilt. These are some of my favourite things...



I had fun positioning the two owls as though they were peaking out from behind the moon.






The machine quilting process was really fun. I used the  walking foot and stitched wavy lines from top to bottom. Each path between the moon columns has two different colours of thread that  I tried to make look like ribbons. I enjoyed using a variety of pretty thread colours.




Even sewing the strange binding angles worked out okay. I made a two fabric binding with a predominantly white starry fabric on the left and a bold black and white stripe on the right.




What I didn't like was that in spite of trying to create variety in the background blocks, and checking the layout several times, I still managed to put two of the same blocks touching each other in the final quilt. Look at that!
Oh well, that's life I guess. Those moon just wanted to be together.

I can't wait to see all the challenge quilts hanging together at the show. It is always mind blowing to see what happens when you challenge a group of quilters with the same fabric and theme, and they create such a diverse range of quilts. The quilt show is at the beginning at May - here's the link. Hope you can come and see our challenge quilts. Don't worry, I will remind you again closer to the show date!

31 comments:

Denise :) said...

Kathy, WOW! This is phenomenal! I love it very much -- I do want to hear how it goes at the challenge!! :)

sophie said...

There is so much to love about this little quilt. I hope you will share photos of the challenge quilts when they are hung for those offs too far away to attend in person.

Dolores said...

Different venue for the quilt show. I hope I remember - maybe I should put it on the calendar now.
I like your challenge quilt.

KaHolly said...

I am in awe. It's gorgeous!

Janet O. said...

Brilliant! Every detail is perfect--the unique shape, beautiful moon colors, different bindings, hiding owls, colored threads--you did an amazing job, Kathy!

Jean said...

I love this, great job!

Robin said...

Everything about this quilt is fantastic. I love the angular shape, the different bindings, the colors that draw the eye all over the surface of the quilt and say, "Look at me!" Who says award winning quilts have to take eons to make. You've just proved instant inspiration has prize winning ways too if you are as talented as you obviously are.

Debbie said...

This quilt is fabulous Kathy! I love everything about it...especially the colors & it's final quirky shape. Best of luck in the show.

julieQ said...

Love, love!! You are an amazing designer and quilter!!

Kaelyn Angelfoot said...

Its so colorful and creative, I just love it!

Chantal said...

Whoaaahhh!! It is SOOOO Cool! I love how the black binding stops exactly at the corner of the white but at the other end it stays longer to cover the darker fabric of the owl. Only one purple moon to recall the purple owl and the odd shape of it ... everything is just ... perfect! Congratulations!!!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

This is just awesome!! Wonderful job of playing with design and fabric and theme.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I love everything about this especially your color choices and shape of the overall project! The two different bindings really bring it all together!

Thelma said...

There are several things I love about this quilt, the fabric, the pop of colors, the design and most importantly your creativity. Great job!

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Beautiful work. Love the mix of black and white with the colors

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Beautiful work. Love the mix of black and white with the colors

Kate said...

What a fun wall hanging! Love all the colorful moons.

Deb A said...

Wow! I love the owl peeking out. Great idea to use various colors for the quilting. So fun.

TakeMeThereTotes said...

This is a great quilt! So interesting. So unique...Love it.

PeggyinNO said...

I love your final quilt! Love the name too! Great work!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

This is just stunning!!

Mystic Quilter said...

Absolutely fabulous!!!

Barbara said...

What a gorgeous quilt!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

What a great finish--so creative! I hope you will post photos of all the challenge quilts!

Judy Dietrich said...

The little owls peeking out are just great!! What a fun shape you ended up with, the binding really sets it off. Are you a Pink Floyd fan?

liniecat said...

Wow what a wonderful finish!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

The moons in those blocks are different shades. See, they aren't the same after all. Nice quilt!

Lisa J. said...

I think this quilt is beautiful Kathy.

Magpie Sue said...

Spectacular! Glad you enjoyed the process; I don't think I would!

Lara B. said...

This is a jaw dropping quilt Kathy! I love looking at every detail! Great use of color and "volume"! Love the little owls too! I am sew impressed!

Lara B. said...

Pinned it!