Wednesday, June 17, 2015

More about the quilt auction...

As I wrote last month, I attended the quilt auction in New Hamburg and as always, it was very exciting. My blog report on the auction can be read hereSomeone took a video at the auction of the featured Africa quilt - you can watch it here.  Seeing the red faces of everyone reminded me how hot it was that day!
This year the auction raised approximately $350,000 for international relief, as well as justice and peacebuilding efforts! It's so rewarding to be a small part of this wonderful event. Just think of how many people will be helped by this money!


I wanted to show you two more quilts from the auction that I thought the rainbow scrappers might like to see. This quilt called "Scrappy but Organized" was made by the Waterloo County Quilters Guild from scrappy 4 patch rectangle blocks. You can see a better photo here, which shows the wonderful scrappy border. Wouldn't that be a fun rainbow scrap challenge project?



And look at this one. It is called Dazzling Diamonds and was made by the Shakespeare Quilt Club. It's a log cabin variation with each block made from white and a colour. This would also be a great scrap quilt idea.
Should I start one?
My small sewing group is planning to get together soon to get working on our quilt top for the 2016 donation quilt... stay tuned for that update :)

15 comments:

Kaelyn Angelfoot said...

I love the scrappy four patch quilt! Thank you for sharing. I am always looking for rainbow quilts, big plans to make several someday. :)

Angie said...

Wonderful rainbow quilts - you should definitely start one! Thanks for the inspiration!

Gretchen Weaver said...

My guild also donates a quilt for our local relief sale every year. I'm always thankful for the prices they bring. The rainbow quilts were beautiful. Maybe someday I'll make one but there are so many on the list already.

Deb A said...

Oh - love that scrappy but organized quilt. So pretty and a great idea for the challenge.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

beautiful rainbows! that sounds like a great place to donate a quilt.

Marie said...

That quilt auction has been on my list of things to do for years. Maybe when I retire...

Bonnie said...

Wonderful eye candy today. Love both of these quilts.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

How great that the quilts raised that amount of money--awesome!

RJ said...

I like the idea of a rainbow quilt. I was at the auction and really liked the colours used in the one your group submitted this year as well.

Do you have a favorite hand quilting thread? I'm about to start to quilt (for the first time) by hand and there sure are a lot of choices out there.

Thanks for your wisdom.

Janet O. said...

Great rainbow scrap quilts. Why not make both? : )

liniecat said...

Fantastic quilts and great news that you all raised so much!
Well done everyone : )

Missy Shay said...

What beautiful quilts!

beaquilter said...

love the two rainbow quilts, definitely a keeper! and WHY does that guy have to stand in the front???

Nell's Quilts said...

Lovely rainbow quilts. Thanks for sharing. Definitely an inspiration for next years RSC.

Karen said...

I always thought that the quilts in the Amish relief auctions were made by the Amish themselves. I didn't realize that others also donate.