Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Rugmaking

If you google rag rugs, you will find many techniques and variations on constructions methods. Because I am a stitcher at heart, I prefer the method using a needle and thread (which is a strip of fabric). This is called a toothbrush rug or a blanket stitch rug. You can find short video tutorials at the Rag Rug Cafe using the method that I use, and you can find tons of information at the Rugmaker's Homestead on all kinds of techniques.


I made lots of progress on my rugs on the weekend.
I finished a small rug using up some fabric that was either a drapery or upholstery fabric. It is a thick rug, and it's the perfect size to sit under my Featherweight machine.






I made a little progress on this new rug that my friend Louise helped me start on Saturday.





And I made lots of progress on the dirt coloured one. I figured that since the rugs get so dirty from being walked on that I will make a dirt coloured rug that won't even look dirty :)
The google photos of toothbrush rugs have me wanting to make a pretty one next with lots of bright saturated colours. But I'll finish these two first :)

8 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

Your featherweight machine looks very comfortable on its rag rug!

Jeanna said...

Great way to use up scraps, Kathy.

June said...

I always take a large crochet hook, (I think it's an "N") and chain the center. It is a whole lot easier than trying to figure out Philly's method every time! Your rugs are beautiful.

Lyndsey said...

Great rugs. I've never made one but I think I can see one in my future

Mary said...

I have always wanted to do one of these. Definitely will look into the videos. Thanks for reminding me that there are other crafts than quilting.

AnnieO said...

I have a rug my grandma made. I remember seeing on the wood floor of her room, soft and cushy for her toes first thing in the morning!

Kate said...

Very pretty and practical rugs. I have one of those "rug" needles. It's one of those craft items still on me to do list to learn.

Daytona Damsel said...

Great tutorial at Rag Rug Cafe except she doesn't show you how to tie off the end or where to purchase the needle. Can you tell me? Love your rugs. Please post the ones in bright colors.
Debbie