Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Hosting a sewing event

If you like sewing with your friends, why not host your own sewing events? It is sew much fun you will wonder why you don't do it all the time. Well, except when you have to work the next day, and you are exhausted from your laughing and sewing marathon. 

Here are the steps to hosting your own sewing party...

Step #1 - decide on a theme and/or date
For the past few years I have hosted a mystery sewing day in the winter, either on New Years, or Super Bowl Sunday. Fellow blogger Andee hosts a Quiltville mystery kickoff party that I would love to attend, except that she lives over 2,000 miles away!

Another idea is to host a monthly event. I used to host a Friday Night Sew In, but have been so busy that it has fallen off the schedule. That must be remedied immediately!

Step #2 - Decide on a guest list
I have room for 4 - 6 sewers and one presser in my space. Sometimes we can't force entice someone to be our presser and we have to do our own, but quilting is always faster when someone else does your pressing for you. It's also important to invite friends who will enjoy the type of sewing you would like to do. I love to sew mystery quilts, but not everyone enjoys that. If you want to host a mystery quilt event, you have to invite people who like adventure, who don't get stressed about figuring out quilt designs, who are handy with a seam ripper, and who are willing to risk making a quilt they don't love (sometimes even "ugly") while they have a fun day of sewing.

Step #3 - Prepare
The next hurdle is that you have to clean your sewing room! Once you've thrown everything into the spare room organized your projects, vacuumed, dusted, and cleaned up your space, you are ready for a nap your sewing party.


Step #4 - Purchase necessities
These are the minimum requirements: lots of water for hydration, buckets of chocolate and assorted snacks for energy, and each quilter needs a tin of "calm down" mints.

You can make your event as complicated or as simple as you desire. The important thing is that you spend time with people in your quilting tribe, and you make wonderful memories to enjoy long after the event is over.

19 comments:

Janet O. said...

Never have (or probably ever will) hosted a quilting event, but you give great advice here. Particularly enjoyed #3, and #4 got me with "buckets" of chocolate! : )

The Cozy Quilter said...

Sewing days with friends are the best!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

My SIL comes down to sew almost 5 days of the week and we have classes 3-4 days a week - not a loss of someone to sew with.

SandraC said...

Our little circle has a monthly applique afternoon, taking turns at hosting. It's great fun, but maybe not quite as much work as there's no machines involved, just need room for everyone around the table!

Jo said...

I'm very busy meeting and sewing with groups. I enjoy a sew at home day by myself. A date with a DVD or talking book. It helps pass the time away...

Lyndsey said...

None of my friend sew which is a problem so step 1 is find some friends who sew. Both my daughters sew but it's not top of their agendas. Maybe when they have children it will work. Alternatively i'll invite my older daughter to make jams and bake whilst I sit at the kitchen table and sew. i might even be able to persuade her to do my pressing. I do love my sewing day even though I'm on my own

Teresa said...

Hi Lyndsey, twenty some years ago I had friends, but none that quilted. I begged, coerced, and gently persuaded my friends to try quilting with me and that I would teach them. Several came hesitantly, and we had so much fun. They had very old Singer machines they did not even know how to thread, much less use. Well, 20 years later, we are still sewing together, have added new friends and a couple of them are teaching others to sew. One of the ladies that did not know how to thread her machine, is now a long arm quilters. And best of all. The club celebrated its 20th anniversary in January. Schedule a sewin and offer to teach, you just might be surprised how much interest you can generate. Good luck!

Deb A said...

Love the buckets of chocolate! I told someone I have a secret stash in the sewing room and she didn't believe me. I have to show her the drawer with a basket of chocolate the next time they are over for a play date. =) Wish I knew more sewers down here.. it would be sew fun to sew with friends.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I've had Quilts of Valor sew-ins at my home, but, we can't use my sewing room, since I don't have any spare space for other sewer's in there. We use the dining/living room, and set up a cutting table, ironing station, and 4 people around the table, with their machines.

Kathy's A Quilter said...

Kathy, this is wonderful tutorial on getting the party started! Thank you for the step by step(s). I am thinking this is a wonderful idea to initiate in my own studio...much shovelling ahead!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

That #3 is my big downfall. If I go through the effort to clean, I don't want to invite people who will mess it up again!

Mary said...

That's why I love our Guild Bi-Monthly SEW-IN's. I don't have to get my space ready, just show up. You never know who is coming until you get there. The Presser is a great idea! And YES, Buckets of Chocolate is a Necessity!

Lisa J. said...

When we get together...we make lunch to share together.

Deanna W said...

Great ideas...now to just set a date everyone can agree on in my quilting tribe!! haha

Kristin said...

My friends and I get together for a 'Crap Night' every other week. Each of us does a bit of crafting, usually some drinking and a whole lot of girl talk!!

Jeanna said...

I love it! I'm going to put this on the list for this year. Thanks for the tips.

Stephie said...

If only I knew anyone that quilts...or even wanted to learn to sew *sigh*. The closest I get is a couple of hours a week over a pub lunch with my knitting friend - I wouldn't miss it for the world, but would love to be able to hold a 'sewing party' at home. Great ideas you have :)

Anonymous said...

Fun idea. Love #3 the idea of cleaning up one's own sewing room for others to visit. That's motivation. Quilt bloggers are my main source of camaraderie.

Kate said...

A very fun idea. But I get stuck at step 1.