Monday, May 23, 2016

Design Wall Monday - Log Cabin Lunacy

Julie inspired me to search out an old project this past week. She posted a photo of her gorgeous scrappy log cabin using 1" logs. And that made me think about my project made from 1" logs.
Where was that thing?!?
I adopted my project from someone, let's just call her "Susan", who had already organized and cut most of the pieces for this quilt. Just look at all the little baggies and the orange notes with the sizes. Everything was all set for me to just start sewing!
And so I did!




This project made it's first appearance on my blog in January 2014. I began sewing the blocks on my white featherweight.




In May 2014, the log cabins appeared again on the blog and this time the blocks were getting a little bigger.




By August I was starting to play with layouts on the design wall and still making more blocks... and more blocks. There was not enough of the darker blue fabrics to make all the blocks and my quilty friends Barb and Deanna helped me find some close matches that enabled me to finish them.


By February 2015 the blocks finally became full size log cabins. Tough decisions were made about the layout and the setting triangles, and the blocks were being sewn together in rows on my black featherweight.
And then I don't know what happened! They were MIA for a while. It had something to do with all the work of sewing long rows of blocks together on point, with a lot of pinning and pressing. The project slowly sunk to the bottom of the "to-do" pile. But thankfully, the organization of the project creator ("Susan") had inspired the project manager (me!) to be more organized, so when I went in search of it last week, everything was ready to finish up.  

And here is the quilt top on the design wall with 124 blocks set on point. I have some great ideas on how I'd like to quilt it now that I've been inspired by it all weekend. The size is 59" x 84" and I've decided to call it Log Cabin Lunacy, inspired by Julie's link up... to visit click here.
To see more design wall posts hop over to Patchwork Times.

22 comments:

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Beautiful! :)

Julierose said...

this is really lovely--very French-looking with the blue/yellow fabrics hugs, Julierose

Katie said...

Absolutely adorable. I love little blocks and the colours are so summery. This inspires me to do some gardening.My son gave me some perennials that already have the blossoms on them - three blues and one white. I just need to find a nice butter yellow to add to the mix.

Ramona said...

Wow! This is gorgeous! It looks like a sunrise over the ocean set like that. What a beauty!

Betty said...

Wow! I love this quilt! And how interesting to see all the stages laid out like that!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

very nice - I love those colors. I have never made a log cabin quilt that way with cutting all the individual logs out - I use long strips and chain piece.

Laura said...

I love the way you set this!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Those blocks have aged sufficiently ....time to get this one done! Love these little sunsets!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I've loved this quilt every time you've shared your progress. And what a unique setting! I'm curious ... what are you going to use for the setting triangles?

Lori said...

Beautiful. Over the weekend, I was cutting 1" strips from civil war scraps to make log cabins too.

beaquilter said...

great log cabins, it's stunning!

Janet O. said...

I remember this project.It always makes me think of sunlight on choppy water, glinting off the ripples and waves.
It is a beauty

Deanna W said...

I so love the blue and yellow combination. Missed slow stitching sunday but I am hoping to get back to sewing and quilting. Have been woring in the gardens for a few days and they are almost ready to go!

AnnieO said...

Pretty color combination! I know what you mean by the long seams and pressing part slowing things down...

liniecat said...

Fantastic and great colours
A real combined effort all in all lol

Caryl @ cinnamon holiday workshop said...

sooooo pretty.......

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Cool setting. Another UFO bites the dust!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Beautiful blues and yellows -- congrats for keeping at it and getting this one onto the design wall. (I am another one who sticks notes to myself inside my projects - they've saved me more than once!)

Deb A said...

So happy to see this cheerful quilt come back out to play!

Kate said...

Congrats on getting this quilt to the finished flimsy stage. It's look great, blue and yellow is one of my favorite color combinations.

Ellen said...

This is so pretty! I am glad that you were motivated to dig out this quilt and finish it.

julieQ said...

Send me your address again...you won a prize from my blog!!