Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Blockheads #10


This is block pattern #10 called "Basket and Flower". It was posted last week for the Blockheads sampler project. 

I am not an expert appliquer, so first I watched the applique tutorial that Jan Patek posted on her blog. That was really interesting so I tried her techniques on this block. It was a bit of a challenge to figure out the order in which to stitch the pieces down. 



From watching the tutorial, I learned not to stitch down the places where another piece should be underneath, such as the stem slipping under the basket.
But I couldn't figure out if the flower should be under the green part or on top. Or if the leaves should be under the stem or on top. Since the "on top" position was much easier to sew, that's what I did! 
To see my other blocks for this project, click here.
I'm heading over to the Moda blog to see block #11 which should be posted today... is it applique or piecing this week?!?!

4 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Looks like you did a good job on your first applique project. The blockhead blocks look like a fun weekly project but there just isn't enough time to do everything! Happy stitching.

Janet O. said...

I don't do much applique, either (and that is an understatement). I applaud you for just doing it. Looks good to me. When I thought I was going to be a blockhead (didn't happen in the material sense), I had planned to skip the applique blocks.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I'm getting a bit more applique this year too. I'll finally have one for Slow Stitching Sunday this week!

audrey said...

With applique, the positioning ends up being a personal decision! Whatever way looks best to you! Such a sweet block. I've been loving seeing this one around.:)