Sunday, May 06, 2018

Slow Sunday Stitching

Welcome to the weekly link up of all things of interest to hand stitchers! 
I have been working s-l-o-w-l-y on my hand embroidery block for Gail Pan's BOM. New patterns will be posted next week and I haven't finished the ones from last month yet. Now that my taxes are completed and I have more time for fun things, I hope to make lots of progress with these embroidery blocks.
This week I came across an interesting article about the value of hand work so of course I am sharing it with the slow stitching gang: "How busy hands can alter our brain chemistry". I love the idea of using "behaviorceuticals" instead of and/or along side of pharmaceuticals to change the brain neurochemistry in order to feel better. 
Why not do your own experiment today? 
Get out your needles and threads and spend some time creating something with your hands. Just see if the repetitive movement of your hands increase some relaxation chemicals in your brain. What do you notice? And then, when you see the beautiful project you have finished, that is also bound to increase your happiness hormones.

How can you resist?!? Bring on the dopamine, oxytocin, endorphins, and seratonin!

Addendum to today's post... I found out late last night that the Norfolk County quilt show was cancelled yesterday due to lack of hydro. I'm so excited because I can go today! I am hoping to see 3 of the slow stitchers at the show - Sandra, Gail, and Cathy.

Link up your blog post below and share your hand work project with us.


   
    An InLinkz Link-up
   

11 comments:

CathieJ said...

Around 5 years ago, when I was dealing with severe neurological side effects from a medication I turned to crocheting to keep my stress levels down. I couldn't do hand stitching because my hands shook, but I could crochet. It took 6 months before the side effects subsided, but my crocheted afghan was my lifesaver and I made an afghan that I had been wanting to make for a long time.
Whenever I am stressed, I know that I can turn to my crafting, concentrate on it and my worries recede to the back of my mind. The worries aren't gone, but I am calmer.

Sarah said...

There's no doubt in my mind that creating something with your hands helps relax the brain and definitely helps cope with the stresses of everyday life!

The Cozy Quilter said...

I am well aware that my sewing and hand work projects keep me sane and relaxed. I love those little embroideries you are doing! Should I ask about the status of Life is Beautiful? Maybe not. See you later!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

always fun to see your pretty embroidery :)

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

The article has many truths! I feel for the younger generation, they have lost the desire to push themselves to learn.

My morning 1.5 miles always changes my thinking (esp if I am feeling yukky) and in the evening, the hand work is relaxing even while watching a movie with Clay. Hand quilting is very relaxing to me and the concentration it takes to watch the stitches be more uniform and straight!

Using our brains will keep us from becoming "chair persons" after retirement and bring on the possibility of the big "A"

Selecting a quilt that is more complex is very important for our brains. Sometimes our brains need something mundane to work on. But the best thing is to keep active an make that ole' brain work.

Deb said...

Your Gail Pan pieces are looking good. I found a few years ago when I was having trouble regulating my blood pressure I get very calm when I do hand stitching. I had to wear a monitor for a week and the hours where I was stitching my heart rate and blood pressure was ideal. This has encouraged me to do my hand embroidery several times throughout the day as well and hand quilting. Happy to say I haven't had spikes in my blood pressure for quite sometime and I generally feel much better. I feel more relaxed when I hand stitch than when I meditate.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I love how your post has struck a chord with those of us who know the true value of these pastimes. I make no bones about it that my hand work is my therapy and so enjoyable to boot. I too wish everyone could discover something to do with their hands as I do believe it enhances contentment with life. Thanks for talking about it Kathy.

Deb A said...

I agree - working with your hands and creating something is very rewarding and uplifting - even if it is making a meal for your family or a craft or producing beautiful flowers. I did an afternoon of hand work and feel so much better!

Cathy said...

I’m so sad that we weren’t able to stay for today and meet up with everyone. When the show was cancelled yesterday we had to pack up and head for home since we already had commitments for today. So sad.... sigh...

Deanna W said...

Always watching and reading..just too busy with the nice weather that is finally here. Will check in later this week!

Kate said...

I'm one of these "sit at the desk" people at work. It's amazing how much stress relief there is in sitting and stitching. Zoning out with something on Netflix at the same time helps too. Hope you get in lots of stress reduction this week.